Hurricane Florence Cleaning Kits Drive
posted on September 24
Hello Uwharrie District!
We have the opportunity to begin work that will help those affected by Hurricane Florence. Although
we are waiting for the invitation to send teams of people, we can begin to assemble Cleaning Kits
(formerly called Flood Buckets).
Our goal is to collect 500 Cleaning Kits – one for each Sunday School class in the Uwharrie
Cleaning Kits should be assembled by local churches according to the specific instructions (list
attached) that were recently updated. Please note: sponges are NO LONGER included and $3 per kit
should be included. Checks can be made out to the Uwharrie District.
Once Cleaning Kits are assembled, they can be dropped off at the following locations:
• September 25, 9a-2p, Take Thou Authority Clergy event, Pfeiffer University Community Room
• October 1, 6-8p, Racial Equity Conversation, Hood Theological Seminary
• October 2, 2-4p, Lexington Missional Network, St. Stephens/Mercy Station
• October 7, 4-6p, Union Chapel UMC (Stanly County)
• October 21, 4-6p, Marshville UMC (Union County)
• October 28, 4-6p, Chapel Hill UMC (Davidson County)
• November 1, 10a-12p, Clergy Gathering, First UMC (Norwood)
• Uwharrie District Office, anytime time before November 1st, please call ahead
• Pfeiffer Chapel narthex, anytime before November 1st
I am so excited to see what the Uwharrie District can do when we work together! As we get
information about disaster team needs, we will communicate those opportunities. Please contact me
should you have any questions about our UMCOR Cleaning Kit Campaign. Watch our Uwharrie Facebook
page for a Facebook Live Cleaning Kit packing video!
Now let’s get to work! Remember, at least one Cleaning Kit for each Sunday School class is our
goal! Make it a contest. Create a packing video. Make it a fun event (while still following
And PRAY over those cleaning kits and for our neighbors to the east!
Rev. Kris Mares