Speaking and Preaching for Ministry
posted on August 13
Are you on the lay reader rotation at your church? Do you want to be? Do you sometimes make announcements during worship? Do you feel led to preach or share the Gospel in a group setting? Do you want to improve your public speaking skills, specifically for your leadership role in your church? This course is not just for those seeking certification as a Lay Servant or Lay Speaker, but any lay person who wants to improve their oral communication skills for the ministry of the church. This counts as an Advanced Course in the Lay Servant Training program.
Purpose: To equip laity to be confident, effective oral communicators in worship and other
In this course, participants will learn:
- The basics of public speaking such as eye contact, use of voice, posture, and hand gestures
- How to make Scripture come alive through oral reading
- Effective ways to make announcements in a worship setting
- Ways to structure and deliver a sermon or message
- Practicing new skills in class
- Participants will record themselves delivering a message to be viewed by the group for feedback
Beginning this Fall, class schedule will depend on group size and availability of participants. Sessions will likely be virtual. Please contact District Vitality Associate, Rev. Katie Lineberger, 704-983-1104.