How To Share Your Recovery Testimony
- Before you start writing, pray and ask God for help and the words to share.
- Your testimony should be written out.
- Your testimony should be about 12 to 15 minutes long. This is about 7 – 9 pages double-spaced using a 12-point font.
- Be sure to include 1 or 2 of your favorite scriptures.
- Be honest.
- Don’t use religious clichés.
- Don’t get too graphic or include non-essential information.
- Keep it short and to the point.
- HAVE FUN!
There are four major parts to your story:
- The Old Me: What are some circumstances others could relate to? What unhealthy things was I doing? What was my relationship to God like? What was my attitude toward others like? What was my breaking point? What caused me to hit bottom?
- My experiences and changes in working through a recovery program/deepening my discipleship: How did I get into recovery? How has my growing relationship with Jesus Christ influenced my recovery? How did working the program help me? (Be specific) Did a particular step touch my heart in a specific way?
- The New Me: What changes has God made in my relationships with others? What areas of my old life are gone and how have they changed? How has my walk with God changed? What are some of the great benefits that I have received from working the program?
- Outreach: What encouragement can I give to the newcomer?